Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bongo Flava

While in Zanzibar, I was introduced by the students to Bongo Flava, a fusion of traditional African rhythms and hip hop. It's what all of the kids are listening to there. I have to admit that I don't love hip hop here all of the time but I love the sounds of Bongo Flava. Bongo Flava can be found mostly in Tanzania and is sung by Tanzanian artists although it seems like the music is popular in Kenya too. If you really want to get specific there is Zangi Flava which is like Bongo Flava but indigenous to Zanzibar.

While in Zanzibar, I had a cd made of music so that I could remember it and learn it for my next trip. You don't buy cds like you do here. There are these tiny shops and you tell someone there what you are looking for and they make you a mix cd. It is wonderful because there were so many surprises. I love almost all of my music.

While on youtube.com, I found one of my favorites. You can hear it and watch the music video. Watch it. The video isn't anything amazing but I love the song. It makes you want to dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSsbA_iFk8&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment