Monday, July 5, 2010

I Made it to Zanzibar!!!!!

Today was my first day in Zanzibar, Tanzania. It started with a 28 hour flight that began at 4am at Laguardia Airport for our 6am flight to DC. From there we hopped on a plane headed for Addis Adaba, Ethiopia with a stopover in Rome. This plane was the most ghetto plane I have ever seen. First class was cruddy and tight. And if first class is cramped, imagine economy. I am not a big girl and I could barely fit my legs in the space between my seat and the seat in front of me. I got leg cramps the whole trip.

Many of you know that I have been dealing with bad swelling in my right foot for no aparant reason.. To make matters worse, we were not allowed to deplane in Rome and because they were refueling, we were not even allowed out of our seats. It is not almost 12 hours since I have gotten off of my flight and my foot is still huge. I am so upset but I am not in any pain and for that I am grateful.

From Addis Ababa we hopped on another plane to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. I think the flight was about 3 1/2 to 4 hours but I am not sure because I completely conked out. Then after the plane landed was stayed on the plane while they refueled, sitting of course, and then took off again for Zanzibar which was only 20 minutes away.

I did not get to see too much of Zanzibar today. We went straight to our hotel which is simple but nice. Except that my bed is broken so I have to sleep with my roommate tonight and we don't have any running water so I can't take a shower. Blah. But I am in Africa (yay) and I have to roll with the punches.

No comments:

Post a Comment