Friday, July 9, 2010

The Most Beautiful Day!!!!

Can each day get more amazing than the next? Yes it can. We only had 2 hours at the school today which we were really bummed about but the kids worked super hard, as usual. I was greeted today by a wonderful boy who I truly adore name Muhammud and he gave me a small orange. How sweet is that? And because we are becoming more familiar with them, they want to teach us so much. As I was walking with my group to rehearse, they saw some friends with some food and got some for me. It was a sweet cassava with a little salt on it. They were so excited that I tried and liked it! And no, I am not sick. We had so much fun rehearsing our scene, about a girl whose parents make her stop going to school to marry a 60 year old man. This was a fictional story but one that could have been true. It's amazing. In one part there is a wedding scene and we started talking about Henna tattoos. I told them that I am getting one right before we leave to show my husband! The girls screamed with glee!

When the day was over, one of the girls called me over. She took my hand and with a pen started to draw a henna design. All of the girls started gathering around to watch and were so happy that I was letting them do it. All of us ended up getting it and I can't tell you what an amazing bonding experience it was. First of all, we were all being so girly! Second, they were tickled pink that we let them do this and they all wanted to touch me and be a part of it or to sit and talk with me. Then they started playing with my hair and suddenly started screaming! I said, "What? What?" They decided that they want to braid my hair. They did a little bit just to see and they were so excited, telling me that I look so beautiful! I told them that on MOnday they could braid my hair. I am probably coming home with cornrows!!!!!!!!

Then we started taking pictures and they were just grabbing me, begging to have a picture with me! You should ahve heard all of the screams! They were so excited! And we were dancing and laughing! I can't even describe it!

Today was one of the best days of my life! I am so happy! As we left, they were hugging me, telling me that they were going to miss me so much this weekend. Then as we were leaving, we overheard one of the girls say, "I'm so happy!!!!!!" My work here is so important. I feel like I am giving them as much joy as they are giving me.

Another fun thing that happened today, as we were rehearsing our scenes, all of these students started surrounding the classroom just watching us. They loved it! I feel like we are part of the community now.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a perfect day to me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're having such a wonderful experience Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie,
    Dad and I are so happy that this experience is turning out to be what you had dreamed of.

    Can't wait to hear about ti all first hand when you get back!

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete