Thursday, July 8, 2010

Image Theatre

Today was the day I have been waiting for. Since we have been planning in early June, I knew that I was going to facilitate image theatre with my group in order to create more material for my show. I woke up feeling sick this morning. Not from nerves. Probably from my spicy dinner the night before. I was afraid I would have to run to the hole in the ground (bathroom) several times. This was not how I pictured this going.

Thank goodness it all cleared up and peppy Carrie was back. We placed cards around the room with themes they had told us they were interested in exploring in their play. They had to walk to the card that they most wanted to discuss and explore. The themes they chose were, HIV/AIDS, gender equality, poverty, education, and government. Then we each went off with a group and created pictures (tableaux) with them. They really enjoyed this because I told them that they were making photographs with their bodies. They thought that this was a lot of fun. Then we brought the photos to life through thought tracking. I thought that this would be a difficult concept for them to grasp but they got it right away. Then we presented each scene to the class. They loved saying "1, 2, 3, picture" and clicking a fake camera before each scene! Every scene was unique and showcased each student well. Even those who have a low proficiency in English had an important role to play.

From there we went back into our groups and created full scenes for each theme. Some groups had trouble because of their language skills but there determination was strong and with practice they will be incredible.

I was particularly proud of my group. They jumped right in and were willing to try anything. With each rehearsal, they became more and more passionate and more and more free with their acting. Their confidence was out of this world. We worked well together, making sure I understood them and they understood me. The result gave me goosebumps. They even added a song to the end.

I love these children. They never cease to amaze me. I am at home here. I am at home.

1 comment:

  1. You must be so proud of everything that you are accomplishing. It's only been a few days and I can only imagine what will happen over the next few weeks!! So glad that you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete